Matt D. Matzner has 21 years experience, 18 of which have been with Crenshaw, Dupree & Milam, L.L.P. (CD&M). He is a partner who handles all aspects of litigation, state and federal, at the trial level and on appeal. His experience as a former briefing attorney to Federal District Judge Sam R. Cummings, and his service on the Federal District Court Advisory Committee for 6 years, have provided him with a unique insight into federal procedure and the internal workings of federal courts that have proven helpful at the state court level as well. Mr. Matzner also served as Chairman of the Merit Selection Panel for the reappointment of United States Magistrate Judge Nancy M. Koenig.
Mr. Matzner’s practice at CD&M focuses on all aspects of civil litigation, from pre-lawsuit resolution through the appeal of a judgment rendered by a trial court. He represents individuals, business entities, Cities, Counties, and law enforcement in all manners of disputes, including fatalities. Mr. Matzner has successfully represented parties in bench and jury trials, and has successfully represented clients in the state and federal appellate courts.
He also handles federal criminal matters on a case-by-case basis.
Mr. Matzner recently successfully defended a city and police officer in a federal civil rights trial lasting nearly 6 weeks where the plaintiffs sought $24,000,000 and were awarded $0.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights, Section 1983
- Governmental Liability
- Employment Law
- OSHA Investigations
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury/Worker’s Comp, Wrongful Death
- Insurance Law
- Criminal Law
- Litigation & Appeals (State and Federal)
- Certified Mediator
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, TX; J.D. – 1996
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- B.A. (Magna Cum Laude) – 1993
- Major: Political Science; Minor: German
- Texas, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- Chairman of the Merit Selection Panel for the Reappointment of United States Magistrate Judge Nancy M. Koenig, 2014
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Federal Court Advisory Committee, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of
- Texas, 2009 – 2016
- American Inns of Court, Texas Tech University School of Law Chapter, 2013 – Present
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (TADC)
- Leadership Lubbock Steering Committee, 2009 – 2011
- Leadership Lubbock Class of 2008 – 2009
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Lubbock County Bar Association
- Lubbock County Young Lawyers Association, Treasurer, 2001 – 2002
- Board of Barristers
- Leach v. Craig James, ESPN and Spaeth Communications, Inc., 455 S.W.3d 171 (Tex. App.—Amarillo 2014, pet. denied).
- Lance v. Lubbock-Crosby County Community Supervision and Corrections Department, 2014 WL 7369938 (Amarillo, Dec. 22, 2014).
- Nottingham v. Finsterwald, 2014 WL 644592 (5th Cir. Feb. 20, 2014).
- Sifuentes v. Abreo, 2013 WL 3124082 (5th Cir. June 21, 2013).
- Torres-Lopez v. Scott, 2013 WL 2479707 (N.D. Tex. June 10, 2013).
- Jones v. Lubbock County Water Control and Improvement District No. 1, 2012 WL 5199376 (Amarillo, Oct. 22, 2012).
- Boyd v. Town of Ransom Canyon, 547 F.Supp.2d 618 (N.D. Tex. 2008).
- Duenes v. City of Littlefield, 2007 WL 270415 (Amarillo, Jan. 31, 2007).
- In re Alamosa Holdings, Inc. Securities Litigation, 382 F.Supp.2d 832 (N.D. Tex. 2005).
- Davis Mts. Trans-Pecos Heritage Ass’n v. FAA, 116 Fed. Appx. 3 (5th Cir. Oct. 12, 2004) (2004 U.S. App. LEXIS 21267).
- Apani Southwest, Inc. v. Coca-Cola Enterprises, 128 F.Supp.2d 988 (N.D. Tex. 2001).
- Jury Selection Considerations, Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TML-IRP) 26th Annual Attorney Workshop, Austin, Texas; Aug. 2016
- Texas Citizens Participation Act – Texas’ Anti-SLAPP Statute, West Texas Paralegal Association Fall Seminar Lubbock, TX; Sept. 2014
- Recent State Cases of Interest, Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TML-IRP) 24th Annual Attorney Workshop, Austin, TX; Aug. 2014
- Recent Cases of Interest, Texas Municipal League Intergovernmental Risk Pool (TML-IRP) 22nd Annual Attorney Workshop, Austin, TX; Aug. 2012
- Texas’ Anti-SLAPP Statute and Other Recent Changes in the Law, South Plains Association of Trial Attorneys Lubbock, TX; Feb. 2012
- Court Cases of Interest to Cities, Shotts, Pardue, Trevino & Guevara, LLP’s 12th Annual Seminar for Appointed and Elected Governmental Officials; Vernon, TX; Feb. 2010