A Strong and Experienced Firm
The strength of Crenshaw, Dupree & Milam, one of the largest law firms in West Texas, is based on legal knowledge and experience handed down from one generation to the next. The firm traces its roots to 1908, and the vision of attorney William H. Bledsoe. In 1919, Bledsoe was elected a Texas State Senator. As a Senator, Bledsoe was instrumental in the legislation creating what was to become Texas Tech University.
In 1926, Senator Bledsoe and Charles C. Crenshaw, Sr., became partners in the practice of law. In 1928, Crenshaw’s former law partner, George W. Dupree joined what became the partnership of Bledsoe, Crenshaw & Dupree. Just prior to Bledsoe’s death in 1936, James H. Milam joined the firm. On January 1, 1940, the firm took its current name, which it has retained for more than half a century as a tribute to its founders.
Crenshaw, Dupree & Milam is located in Lubbock, the largest city on the South Plains of West Texas. Our research facilities are complemented by nearby research facilities at the Texas Tech University School of Law and the University’s Medical School.
Crenshaw, Dupree & Milam represents many major national and international corporations and institutions, as well as many local and regional individuals, businesses, and institutions. Clients are served by a team of experienced attorneys, legal assistants and staff. Our firm associates only the most outstanding and aggressive young attorneys to work side-by-side with our senior attorneys. We serve clients over a wide geographic area.
A Commitment to Excellence in Law
Crenshaw, Dupree & Milam’s attorneys believe that the practice of law is a calling of the highest order. Our attorneys enjoy being involved in their community professionally and socially through membership and participation in civic and professional organizations.
Attorneys practicing with the firm have held or currently hold many prestigious offices and positions, including:
- President, State Bar of Texas
- President, Secretary and Treasurer, Lubbock County Bar Association
- President, Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- President, Lawyers for Civil Justice
- President and Treasurer, Lubbock County Women Lawyers Association
- President, Lubbock County Young Lawyers Association
- State Senator for the 28th Senatorial District of the State of Texas
- General Counsel to the State Affairs Committee of the Texas Senate
- Elected Member, Texas House of Representatives
- Adjunct Professor, Texas Tech University School of Law
- Examiner, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American College of Probate Counsel
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Briefing Attorney, Hon. Sam R. Cummings, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Texas
Our attorneys also belong to, have served or currently serve as officers in many professional organizations, including:
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Lawyers for Civil Justice
- American Academy of Hospital Attorneys
- American Law Institute
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Texas Board of Trial Advocates, President
- South Plains Trust and Estate Council
Several of our trial attorneys have been inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the highest and most prestigious honors which can be attained by a trial lawyer in this country.
Read more about the history of Crenshaw Dupree & Milam in Historic Lubbock County an Illustrated History by Donald R. Abbe and Paul H. Carlson (2008).